An interesting card has been framed for the culminating day at Mumbai Races with a few races for horses who have not performed during the season. The main feature SBC Million race has a strong field in which CANCIND DYNAMITE, GIANTASSIO, ASCRIPTIVE, FIRE WITHIN & BLACK SAPPHIRE being main hopefuls.
1. RAGING CHENAB is a failed favorite, the Delhi based jockey may force a win. BLACK HUSSAR was heavily whipped to go down fighting, the allowance jockey will be an advantage. SHAKTIMAN has been running forward races. SHARAPOVA was an eye catching 3rd, can upset.
SHARAPOVA-BLACK HUSSAR- RAGING CHENAB
2. MUSTANG SALLY has come down in scales. SOLSKJAER ran a forward race last time. ACCEPTANCE is a speedy horse who has come down in handicap. ARABIAN GUEST may run on board.
SOLSKJAER-ARABIAN GUEST -ACCEPTANCE
3. KINGS DESIRE may improve on his last 4th. COVENANT is a speedy horse who warmed up to win easily last time. GENERALLISIMO has been knocking for success, may do it now.
4. PROCYON proved to be a good type when winning last time as a good gamble, all have to catch him. MYSTERIOUS STAR has been well prepared. SPIRITUAL FLAME appeals on handicap, the failed favorite may redeem last time loses. WILD VEGAS was leading all the way in the straight before easing out, can surprise.
PROCYON-SPIRITUAL FLAME-MYSTERIOUS STAR
5. FIRE CRACKER was a decent 4tth. ROMANTIC IMPACT is well bred, the last run was in a million race where it gave a reasonable display. ZEN can improve on the last run. HIGHLAND FLAME is tracking well. WILD TORNNADO is a speedy type.
ROMANTIC IMPACT-WILD TORNNADO-ZEN
6. DANCING DYNAMITE was an easy winner. GIANTASSIO was a surprise start to finish winner under the stables second string jockey, will fight out. ASCRIPTIVE is well prepared. FIRE WITHIN a full brother to SECRET WARRIOR is good in tracks. BLACK SAPPHIRE was eating up the turf in the last million, if she reproduces that run she will be on the classic scene.
BLACK SAPPHIRE-GIANTASSIO-FIRE WITHIN
7. DANCE MAESTRO has been on threshold of winning, the weight is a dampener. EKOFISK was held up at a crucial stage when finishing on, the rider will utilize that keen pulse of the horse. CLASSIC STAR is working well. SPARTA is bound to improve on the last run.
8. PTOLEMY won as a good thing despite no preparation, the added distance is the on;y worry. SOCORORO is in good form. SARAAH may be tried though she looks to be waited with for Pune. TULLAMORE was a comfortable winner.
DAYS BEST=====ROMANTIC IMPACT
DOUBLE=======BLACK SAPPHIRE & PTOLEMY
LONG ODDS====WILD VEGAS
LAY===========GIANTASSIO & DANCE MAESTRO
An interesting card has been framed for the culminating day at Mumbai Races with a few races for horses who have not performed during the season. The main feature SBC Million race has a strong field in which CANCIND DYNAMITE, GIANTASSIO, ASCRIPTIVE, FIRE WITHIN & BLACK SAPPHIRE being main hopefuls.
1. RUBY ROCKET was a good gamble in the last run where she trashed the opposition. Though the handicap is not in favor an encore can not be ruled out. CALL TO ARMS who was hampered for room in last run was finishing on, can win today. TIGRESSE NOIRE won an uncontested race as the favorite was not on the job.
CALL TO ARMS-RUBY ROCKET
2. ALGO MAS was a close looser last time who will try to win. BEAU MONDE impressed in a mock race, may be tried as there are three horses from the same stable. HIDDEN DRAGON has good initial speed. JEWEL STAR has been given runs over unsuitable distances, should like this sharp trip as he is bred for a scurry.
JEWEL STAR-ALGO MAS-BEAU MONDE
3. EL BUNDUQ is speedy brother to CALL TO ARMS, hw ran a good forward run in race No 200. SENTINEL a half brother to MANI AT EIGHTY has been well prepared by continuous gates. SIR TAJ may need more distance. STAR IMPACT is working fast. SNOW BLIND was given a very loose ride by Grant when it ran green, may go all the way.
SNOW BLIND-EL BUNDUQ-SENTINEL
4. BORN TO LEAD was suggestive in the last run. PREMIER PERCEPTION may run true to tracks it is showing, the pedigree is for speed. TEARAWAY was a surprise winner who has a strong jockey. ARABIAN PRIDE appeals on weights.
ARABIAN PRIDE-BORN TO LEAD-PREMIER PERCEPTION
5. RAVE ON is in fine form. CABINDA won with a top load, can defy the penalty. TRUE ELEGANCE had won a sprint easily before being raced over longer distances, can surprise. NEED FOR SPEED is working well. XIAMEN is speedy.
6. ANTONIOS is well bred& showing out in works. FORCE OF LAW ran a good 3rd to CYCLADES. YANKEE LANE may place. EKHABINSKYA is half sister to good type DANCING IMAGE, the eye catching tracks are indicative.
EKHABINSKYA-FORCE OF LAW-ANTONIOS
7. SIMPLY PERFECT will try to go all the way. BINEE comes out best based on comparative runs. MERCEDES may place. HOUSE PREFECT has been on verge of showing out, may surprise.
HOUSE PERFECT-BINEE-SIMPLY PERFECT
DAYS BEST====SNOW BLIND
DOUBLE=======JEWEL STAR & EKHABINSKYA
EAT/LAY======ALGO MAS &SENTINEL
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 2:16 PM
The concluding day of the long Delhi season draws to a close today. A look at the card gives the impression that the try horses are those who have been running on board in their last few meetings held during the last fortnight. All 9 year olds have their last chance as they move out from DRC hereafter.
The Chief Minister’s Cup looks to be in the safe keeping of SUDARSHAN CHAKRAM who was an impressive winner last time. He has to contend with the speed of BLACK CHETAK & the well prepared SPADE OF ACE.
1. FAURTIES-SILVER PEG-SHUBH SHUBH
2. FIXED DIVIDENT-AL JAWAT-REAL SELEBRITY
3. DUKE ELLINGTON-WATER WAVE-SARKAR
4. SUDARSHAN CHAKRAM-SPADE OF ACE
5. TRUSTED FRIEND-GANDIVA-BEFORE YOU
6. SILVER GIRL-YARE-PAINTED BOY
7. LITTLE CUT-GAMATI-ASHWA PADDMA
DAYS BEST===LITTLE CUT
DOUBLE=====FAURTIES & SILVER GIRL
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 12:02 PM
A lagre field due to entries of a number of horses who retire after this season crowd the day's feature. TRINITY who is the speediest of horses at this centre has a
fight on hand from DEGAS, the record holder for sprint but presently not in top form.
As the season comes to a close a large number of hopeless runners are in the schedule, perhaps with the intention of getting dropped in ratings before they get fit for the next racing calender.
1. DOLTON POWER-VAGABOND-MORE THAN A WOMAN
2. SILVER GIRL-INVISIBLE FORCE-SILVER ZARA
3. AL JAWAT-BARCHETTA-MANJHLE NAWAB
4. READY TO WIN-DOON BOY-TACTIC
5. TRINITY-DEGAS-ASHWA PRATAP
6. PAINTED BOY-SUPREME SUCCESS-TIME TO WYN
DAYS BEST=====SILVER GIRL
DOUBLE========READY TO WIN & TRINITY
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 1:03 PM
MONOPOLY has been tracking well to beat the physically suspect SYNERGETIC in the feature event. The later has not been on the tracks since his last run & it would be surprising if it runs a winning race.
HIGH STREET CRUISES TROPHY is an open affair, where all have to contend with the top sprinter AVEC PLAISIR who can defy the handicap.LAGO MEDIO, PAMPERED PRINCESS, ENCALEDUS& PEPE JUNIOR all look hopeful in the set up.
1. EARL OF WARWICK has run in the Indian Derby, the well bred has to only beat aged RAGE OF ANGELS who has won twice.However all should know that the rider has a history for flopping on raging hot favorites.
EARL OF WARWICK
2. PEBBLE BEACH has not lived up to his breeding, the horse has been prepared, may run well. TEMPTATION has to jump out well to win, the three mock races may have helped. BREZHNEV is an aged horse who ran a commendable 2nd & appeals on handicap.
3. AVEC PLAISIR is in tremendous form who will defy the handicap. LAGO MEDIO had warmed up late last time, it will fight out today as Appu likes to hit the front. PAMPERED PRINCESS may go all the way. PEPE JUNIOR appeals on comparative performance in last few runs.
LAGO MEDIO-AVEC PLAISIR
4. ENZO is tracking well. GRAND WARRIOR is full brother to SYMBOL OF SPEED, may be tried. POMME DE TERRE was eye catching when finishing on last time. SPLENDID MONARCHY is sister to useful HUGO & may show a better run . TYUMEN is full sister to TIGRESSE NOIRE, the tracks and gates are indicative, may fight out on debut.
POMME DE TERRE-TYUMEN-ENZO
5. COURAGE UNDER FIRE ran a decent 4th . CRESENDO , a brother to PASSION TO PERFORM was an improved 4th. MONOPOLY was an impressive 2nd on debut, the last run needs to be ignored, it is showing out in tracks. SOPHIE has not been tracking, hence cant be considered. SYNERGETIC may have recovered from the set back.
MONOPOLY-CRESENDO-COURAGE UNDER FIRE
6. GATRAVAT ran a decent 2nd, its performance in race number 150 gives it the edge.SPIRITUALL, the well bred is in good form, the last win from off the pace gives it a good chance even today. BONNY LIGHT likes this distance & the rider. CARAMEL has not placed for long, can be the up setter of the day.
7. FIRE VAULT a brother to ADALLIA looks fit. FOREST MUSIC has run four times, may have come to hand. ROSE BOWL has been prepared well, the tracks are good, why has it not run before? AEGINA is well bred, tracks are fine, can win. ONUS PROBANDI is fast in trials, the full sister to SECRET WISH may show out.
AEGINA-FOREST MUSIC-ROSE BOWL
DOUBLE======POMME DE TERRE & AEGINA
EATS/LAY====PEBBLE BEACH& ROSE BOWL
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 11:28 AM
The entries for the day reflect the seriousness of the connections regarding racing at the fag end of the season. The onset of summer appears to take away the racing enthusiasm. The main feature MAHARAJA SIR HARI SINGHJI TROPHY has attracted only five runners, the event may be won by the well prepared COTSWOLD ARMS who ran a decent 4th in Eclipse Stakes, however on pure handicap ,he has to contend with BEYOND BELIEF who has not performed well this season.
1.POLAR GLOW won a race and then refused to gallop past the stable turn in the next outing. The couple of mock races should have helped. PRINCESS SAMEERAH placed first time in her career in last run & is bound to be tried. TRIBAL WARRIOR warmed up late to loose agonizingly last time, will be at it again.
TRIBAL WARRIOR-POLAR GLOW
2. BEARER has won twice on the go, it will be difficult to hat trick. CATALUNYA may run a forward race. BRIDGE TOO FAR was a good gamble last time, can be in the fray again. THE DREAMER appears to have woken up, the last 3rd was suggestive for the trainer to go for it.
THE DREAMER-BRIDGE TOO FAR
3. THE BOSS finished on late to loose in last outing, the ride was questionable. ENCOURAGEMENT may place. BU ATTIFEL surprised one & all by winning last time, it would be fancied to do so again. MUSTANG SALLY did not run as expected last time, may surprise now. COCAINE is in fine form.
BU ATTIFEL-THE BOSS-MUSTANG SALLY
4. APPOLOTINA is best bred, the distance is to the liking & preparation is . BEACON LIGHT is working well. SPIRITED STAR is well bred, full sister to Legendary, the last 4th was an improvement. STARLITE EXPRESS is a staying type.
5 BEYOND BELIEF comes out best on handicap. COTSWOLD ARMS has been well prepared. SAMARKHAND won his last start in record time.
COTSWOLD ARMS-BEYOND BELIEF
6. TOP ACTION has been in the thick of things in last three runs. GOLD BISCUIT has been sharpened up. CHARLIE PARKER may surprise. MORPHEUS ran a decent race last time. PATEK PHILLIPE failed as an odds on at debut, that run puts doubts over the excellent trackwork, wait and watch .
GOLD BISCUIT-TOP ACTION-PATEK PHILLIPE
DAYS BEST===THE DREAMER
DOUBLE======APPOLOTINA & COTSWOLD ARMS
EAT/LAY=====PRINCESS SAMEERAH & THE BOSS
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 1:09 PM
A large number of suspect/ unfit horses fill the day’s card as the longest season of racing in the country heads towards a close. Also in the fray are the nine year olds who won’t race after the current season as they are barred from further racing. Recent racing form has to be considered while selecting hopefuls .
2. FIXED DIVIDENT-GANDHRAJ-LOVELY GUERDON
3. SUPERB SUCCESS-MIDDLEMAN-TRUSTED FRIEND
4. GOLDEN GUN-REAL QUEEN-LITTLE MASTER
5. BEHAVING BADLY-CHARG AWAY
6. BISMARK-ASHWA PADDMA-INNER VOICE
DAYS BEST===GOLDEN GUN
DOUBLE==CRYSTAL PISTOL & BISMARK
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 1:03 PM
A close contest is envisaged for the Hydeabad Race Club Silver Vase which is the main feature of the Delhi Races today. SHE'S SEXY has been on board in all her runs including three wins. DEGAS who had gone backwards due to winter cold appears to be back to being a speedy customer as displayed in the last run where the aging TAURIAN had surprised the speedy field.Unlike yesterday the favorites may dominate the races today.
1. FUTURE CALCULATIONS-SUPREME SUCCESS-EXALTED
2. SUDARSHAN CHAKRAM-DISTANT THUNDER
3. BLACK CHETAK-SILVER GIRL-FERALIGATOR
4. SHE’S SEXY-DEGAS-SOUL SATISFACTION
5. KERRY BLUE-VAGABOND-RAGING CAUVERY
6. WATER WAVE-SILVER ZARA-ENDLESS STRIDES
DAYS BEST===KERRY BLUE
DOUBLE=====SUDARSHAN CHAKRAM & BLACK CHETAK
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 11:18 AM
1. CABINDA has placed twice, it has a jockey who is riding with confidence nowadays. ABOVE ALL has not been tried this season, the last 4th is a pointer. SHAKTIMAN has good initial speed. GANADOR has come down a lot.
2. DIPLOMATIC LICENCE has come down a class. PREMIER DIVA is better bred ,won well & is maintaining form. URUJ has been given a mock race, appeals on weights.
3. RED MESA is at a handicap to upset. QUEENS COURT was a fighting 2nd, will be all out again. RISING EMPEROR was a comfortable winner & is working well. SPARTA has not run for long, may be a gamble horse today.
RISING EMPEROR-QUEEN’S COURT-SPARTA
4. DANCE MAESTRO is speedy. CATALYST is showing out in tracks, the jockey is poor. AMBEROGIO is in fine form. GYPSY QUEEN won over 1600m but has the breeding for speed , can win if bet upon by the gambling connections.
5. BLADE RUNNER was hotly bet upon, the horse was slow out, then ridden out in a hurry , lost due to suspicious ride. BLUE MOUNTAIN is brother to ECHOES OF LIGHT, the preparation is suggestive. INDIAN SUMMER may run well. SALVE REGINA ran well on debut, has been tracking well to be in contention.
BLADE RUNNER-SALVE REGINA
6. CARLOS is in fine form. CAIRNDHU is a good type sprinter who may do well with the poor rider on top. RED INDIAN is another good type who won with authority. SURAJ is an up setter.
7. KIARA is a fine sprinter who is likely to be leading the fight in the straight. AURORA AUREALIS was in no mood to give up the lead to SET ALIGHT in the JUVENILLE FILLIES 1600m. BEE QUICK was too good a winner in a smart time who is blazing the tracks.
8. MAGER WAGER has been well prepared after his last win, the choice of the rider who is close to the owner of No 2 horse is perplexing. RUBY ROCKET may be a gamble, doesn’t appeal on handicap. MASTER CRAFT was a notable 3rd over 1200m, if it goes well over the added distance it will win. HERE COMES THE DON can upset. HITZ is in great form.
MASTER CRAFT-RUBY ROCKET-HITZ
9. KING’S TROOP is in good nick. OPERA ROYALE may place. BINEE appeals on handicap. NORTHERN PRINCE will win if bet upon & breaks out well from the gates, worth a bet in this field.
NORTHERN PRINCE-BINEE-OPERA ROYALE
DAYS BEST====BLADE RUNNER
DOUBLE==GYPSY QUEEN & NORTHERN PRINCE
UPSETTER===HERE COMES THE DON
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 1:15 PM
1. BLACK HUSSAR has been given easy runs by the most non performing trainer in Mumbai, may run on board under this average jockey. RISING PRINCESS has an allowance jockey, may place. HYMN STAR is speedy. TRIBAL WARRIOR appeals due to handicap & rider.
TRIBAL WARRIOR-HYMN STAR-BLACK HUSSAR
2. DESERT DUST can upset as he is the only non winner in the season who appeals on handicap & the tracks are good. KINGDOM OF LOVE is in fine form. MILES AND MORE is a moody type.
DESERT DUST-MILES AND MORE
3. NECTAR JEWEL ran a good 3rd, the betting stable is likely to fancy his chances here. WALKING TALL is tracking well. PACEMAKER ran an improved race, will hit the front. ELEMENTTO ANGEL was suggestive in the last run.
PACEMAKER-NECTAR JEWEL-ELEMENTTO ANGEL
4. BEAU JOLOIS has run well enough in the last couple of runs. CYCLADES ran a forward race in better company, this brother to ENAKSI has a good chance. FORCE OF LAW has a speedy pedigree. FIRE QUEEN is well bred. YOWZA is working well.
5. ASCELIPIEON was a too good winner, later it ran below par, looks like it had problems. SOLID BLACK was a notable winner. TRUE ELEGANCE is tracking well. PREMIER QUEEN was ridden to loose by the canny Narredu, may win if ridden in check as the breeding is tops.
PEMIER QUEEN-ASCELEPION-true elegance
6. FIDEL DEFENSER & FOCUS ran close last time. HYMNS TO FREEDOM was a faraway 2nd to FEET OF FLAMES. KAPATHOS is brother to useful ALAMSHARA, may need this run. ROMMEL is by the winner of Bangalore Oaks, can surprise. GOT TO GO was a faraway 3rd, may place.
FOCUS-FIDEL DEFENSER-HYMNS TO FREEDOM
7. ST MORRITZ may run well with the claimer atop. FIERY FUTURE should have won last time, looks better placed today.MERCEDES has been a costly failure so far. LOVE FORTY ran a forward race.
FIERY FUTURE-LOVE FORTY-ST MORRITZ
DAYS BEST===FIERY FUTURE
DOUBLE==CYCLADES & TRIBAL WARRIOR
EATS==ASCELEPIEON & GOT TO GO
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 12:40 PM
1. CHOICE OWN has been placing regularly in sprints. FAURTIES, a brother to TRUSTED FRIEND has been given grinding tracks. SENEGAL, a brother to VAN DER STAR has come to hand late, the hard held run last time against stable mate winner was suggestive. RAGING CAUVERY has been prepared well, it is bound to improve on it’s last place.
SENEGAL-RAGING CAUVERY-CHIOCE OWN
2. SNOW DEER has a very poor field to tackle. ENI has been well rested after placing. DISTANT THUNDER is due to earn some money this season. YARE won after being brought down, can repeat.
3. ARABIAN TIGER has not delivered so far. THE DUKES is well bred, the brother to RED CAT has been a big failure so far. BEHAVING BADLY is tracking well. MELODY MAKER may place. UTOPIA & TACTIC both placed first time in their careers in last runs respectively.
BEHAVING BADLY-THE DUKES-MIRACLE MAKER
4. DAZZLING WIN was hard ridden looser to SOLID SUCCESS who is again well placed on handicap. ORIENTAL SPEED may surprise.
SOLID SUCCESS-DAZZLING WIN
5. ASHWA PRATAP is in good form. GANDIVA is speedy. INSPECTOR EAGLE needs a bit more distance. TRUSTED FRIEND won despite veering off, may achieve a hat trick.
GANDIVA-TRUSTED FRIEND-ASHWA PRATAP
6. EXALTED is a game sprinter. ROSEVELT wins late in the season year after year, nay repeat. GOLD GIVER placed in a poor lot last time. CARRIE is working well.
7. DARTTAGAN a wrongly spelt name appears to be fit. NORTHING IMPOSSIBLE has won at these weights. GAMATI may place again. MANJHLE NAWAB belonging to a betting stable looks like redeeming his last failure.
A. The termination of the Mumbai racing season marks the halfway stage of the Indian Racing Calendar. A large number of races for 2 year olds (who all turn three year olds on Ist day of the year) have gone by at almost all the racing centers. The interest in early career is focused on the winners of maiden races, million and multi-million races. The true potential & strength of this young crop will now be judged during the summer/monsoon season when classic hopefuls, some of whom have already been sighted, would get to further prove themselves. Apart from the early ones there are still a few exciting prospects who will be initiated and are likely to make their mark.
B. The value of a race horse is primarily judged from the Sire’s established record or expected potential in case of freshman sires. The dams with established families, bloodlines and personal track performance add to the value in their own equally important way. The most significant aspect in judging a Sire’s value is his potential to produce classic/graded race winners. Yet in the early part of the season enough importance is also given to Sire’s capability to provide early winners because it is a well established fact that a good sire normally produces off springs who come to hand early and are keen to hit the track. The structure of racing in India provides for such early juvenile winners to pick up better stakes than when they race in handicap races. Hence a lot of attention needs to be given to the Sires who perform well with early strikes from their crop each year.
C. Let us now take a look at the winner producing sires for juveniles this year. A total of 1517 horses were produced in the year 2006 and it is expected a small percentage of these may not eventually make it to the race courses. So far 182 of these horses have gone on to win races, a very marginal proportion indeed. What is most interesting is that out of this number 32 horses have been winners at only one centre ; i.e. , Chennai , a centre where racing takes place “in a world of its own”.
D. A total of 86 sires were utilized for covering the mares which resulted in the 2006 crop. 45 out of these have got winners so far. The details of the winning sires are discussed hereafter.
1. PLACERVILLE-Son of Mr Prospector in his 12th crop is at the top with 16 winners of 19 races out of a largish crop of 70 foals. A very versatile sire who has been the champion sire for 6 times . Last year he gave us STAR WAVE, nora, bourbon queen, star of Washington, originality and divine as black types.
Winners-ANGELFIRE, DIVINE GLEAM,RAMASSES, STAR OF MARMALADE, ASHWA PRAYAG, SPECIAL CHARM, CLASSERVILLE, TOPKAPI, FOREST FLAIR, GREY MAGIC, KOHINOOR KING, RIVER CHIEFTAIN, D’ARTAGNAN, SHEIKHA, STAR CROWNED and SEA QUEEN.
2. BURDEN OF PROOF- The Fairy King son standing at Kunigal Stud has been a big winner this season with his sixth crop of 42 foals 13 winners of 17 races .Last year black types were , FLEETING ARROW, ABS FABS, sugar ray and colourful lady.
Winners-CHIQUELLE, ABOLINE, TANZANITE,SUCHIMAN, SUPERB STYLE, CHINTZ, SPEARHEAD,RUGGED BEAUTY, CORBETT, CIELO REY, CAPTIVATING, CAYENNE and HATSUHAANA
3. CHINA VISIT-The son of Red Ransom in his 3rd crop has got 9 winners winning 11 races out of total foal strength of 39. Last year black types-FLAMING ACE, SAFARI, KIARA, ARCHIPENKO.
Winners-RIVER BLOSSOM,RIDING FANTASY, ARISTOCRATIC, VIVACITY, HUSSLER,RUBY CROWN, CHOTEE BEGUM, AVE MARIA and SEA OF KISSES.
4. ONTARIO-Storm Cat sired and Sohna Stud based stallion got to foal 67 out of which 9 have won a total of 10 races. Last year black types- successor, the rock, own voice and sound of nature.
Winners-FLYBY, SEX BOMB, GRAND RAPIDS, ACE HIGH, TURKISH DOLL, SPRINT STAR, ARTS, PURE MAGIC and SCUBARIO.
5. EL JOHAR-Standing at Mukteshwar Stud, the son of Nashwan has 08 winners, nine wins from a crop of 29 in his 3rd crop. Last year black type-COMMON KNOWLEDGE.
Winners-EL TORO, SCAMPER, KING’S CRUISE, ASHWA SHAURYA, SPOT ON, WINNING STRIDES, KNIGHTS FALCON and ZAMBO ANGA.
6. DIFFIDENT-Standing at Poonawalla Stud , this versatile son of Nureyev in his 7th crop has 38 foals, 7 have won 8 races so far. Last year black type- arktouros, secret glory and enduring star.
Winners-BOURBON BAY, ALACRITY,BLUE DANUBE,KINGDOM OF DREAMS,SMOKIN ACES, QUEEN’S COLLECTION and DUKE OF WINDSOR.
7. YOUNG SENOR-The late son of El Gran Senor stood at A B Stud and in his 12th crop of 35, he got 6 winners of 7 races. Last year black types-star senora and black mischief.
Winners-EL PASO, IKI TOMBI, FIRE BLAZE, GLORIOUS BAY, PRESTON BAILLEY and CHEASEAPEAKE.
8. FLITCH-Sired by Demons Begone, this Doaba Stud sire in his sixth crop foaled 48 out of which 6 winners have won 7 races. Last year black type-royal portrait.
Winners-GALASHIELS, FIRE BIRD, BALLANTYNE, ACCARDO, PAY MASTER and SARIR.
9. ROYAL GLADIATOR-The home bred but brought in foal son of Honour And Glory in his 3rd crop at Pratap Stud got 30 foals, 5 have won a total of 7 races. Last year black types- LYCIA FALCON and stunning rose.
Winners-FLIRTING EYE, APHRODISIAC,SUGAR BABAY,SOUND OF CHEERS and CASCADES.
10. STEINBECK-Mr prospector’s underutilized son standing at Usha Stud in his 12 th crop of 16 foals has 5 winners of six races. Last crop black types-red romeo, carte blanche and strategic partner.
Winners-ENYA, AL FATEH, DAVENPORT,SNOW QUEEN and ABOVE THE LINE.
11. GASWAR-Shadeed sired and one of the under rated sire standing at Sohna Stud in his 10th crop of 12 foals has 5 winners.Last year black types-TOMSK, RECONNECT and dorabella.
Winners-DAZZLING WISE, DREAM PARK, VICTORIOUS SALLY, HARMONICA and RABI KOUNGA.
12. MR MELLON-Standing at Ruia Stud, the son of Red Ransom had his third crop of 36 out of which 4 have won 6 races.Last crop black types-FANTASTIC QUEST, ADAMANT APPROACH and able associate.
Winners-PALACE AFFAIRS, SPARK OF SALERNO, SECRET ASSET and SEA SPARROW.
13. BEE’S PROSPECTOR-The late son of Mr Prospector stood at Vikram Greenlands and in his 14th and last crop gave 46 horses out of which 4 won a total of 5 races.
Winners-CHECK HER OUT, ALBORADO,GENEROUS THOUGHT and SECRET WHISPERS.
14. WARRSHAN-The well performed and versatile son of Northern Dancer and full brother to the celebrated RAZEEN stands at Star Stud. In his 15th crop of 30 he has 4 winners. Last year black type-fire within.
Winners-SEA TREASURE,INDIA GATE, MUSIC VALLEY and RIVER STAR.
15. BRAVE HUNTER-The late son of Tecorno and Pratap Stud home bred sire in his ninth and last crop of 29 foals gave 4 winners.
Winners-TAKING OVER, MRIGNAYNEE, PRICE TO FAME and IDAR PRINCESS.
16. DON MICHELLETO-Nakul Stud based son of Machiavellian in his 7th crop of 18 has 3 winners of 4 races.
Winners-SPARKS, AS YOU WISH and RASHIDA.
17. KLY GREEN-Son of Danzig and standing at Badal Stud got 3 winners of 4 races in his 11th crop.
Winners-ZYCON,DISCO FLASH and quen of habashe.
18. HAMMERSTEIN-Kris sired and standing at Krishna Stud has 3 winners of 4 races in his 4th crop.
Winners-SUNEHRA PARINDA, TED LAPITUS and AL JEEZAAN.
19. CASE LAW-The late son of Ahonoora stood at Jai Govind Stud and in his 12th crop of 31 foals had 3 winners of 4 races.
Winners-SPLENDID ACT, CAPT SMART and CHESTNUT CHARMER.
20. GREENSMITH- The late son of Known Fact stood at Mare Haven Stud in his last couple of years . In his 12th crop of 20 foals he had 2 winners of 7 races.
Winners-ROCKING STAR and OBAN.
21. WHITE CROWN-The late son of Secreto stood at Amrit Kaur Stud and in his 10th crop of 4 foals had 2 winners of 5 races.
Winners-TAKE A CHANCE and BEST OF LUCK
22. VALID CONCEPT-The late son of Valid Appeal who stood at Dashmesh Stud in his 3rd and last crop of 21 foals had 2 winners of 3 races.
Winner-VENDETTA and NOX.
23. GLORY OF DANCER-Son of Shareef Dancer and located at Nanoli Stud he produced 20 foals in his 9th crop, 2 winners of 2 races. Last year black types-ANTONIOS, DANCING DYNAMITE and JUVENTUS.
Winner-CRUISING and CABRIOLET.
24. DUJA-The son of Dayjur and located at Pratap Stud in his 9th crop of 20 foals had 2 winners.
Winners-RUFFIANO and OUTSTANDING.
25. RAZEEN-Son of Northern Dancer located at Mehra Stud had the 13th crop of 23 foals out of 2 have won. Champion sire for six times appears to be getting aged as this year has been a big disappointment so far. Last year black types-SET ASIDE, AUTONOMY, GRAND MADAME, NOBLE VIEW, ruben stein, corfu, timeless treasure, violet honey, inspiring trust and vijay rath.
Winners-AMORE MIO and VIJAY SIDDHANTH.
26. HYMN-Son of Fairy King and standing at Jodha Stud had 36 foals in his 4th crop with 2 winners.
Winners-GREEK FIRE and AMITY.
27. TIROL-The late son of Thatching stood at Capricorn Stud and in his final 15th crop had 30 foals, 2 winners.
Winners-GALLANT PRINCE and MIGHTY PRINCE.
(a) Placerville is the top sire in the country now with the produce capable of winning at all the distances. The worrying thing is that they are not winning at the top level and are suspect for distances beyond 2000m.The % of black types is decreasing.
(b) Razeen gave us the top horse last yearin SET ALIGHT and also AUTONOMY, and there were some other good types. This year’s crop is looking very moderate for his standards.
(c) CHINA VISIT from the same farm is better than what most people have started to believe. If he is not compared with Razeen then he is still a good sire who regularly produces good types.
(d)GLORY OF DANCER is throwing out lots who race for all the distances, winning two Indian Derby’s puts him at the higher level than before. The capability to get the staying trips has been noticed as he has matured as a sire.
(e) BURDEN OF PROOF has been the most impressive this year, his produce is precocious and the speed elements are to the fore. Not getting the classic distance is the negative with him as he is good only upto a mile.
(f) ONTARIO has been getting very large crop , the offsprings are precocious but there is a tendancy for pure sprints. Though he has got winners even over staying trips but majority of the crop is bred for sprints. What has to be seen is whether the horses of this sire retain their zest for racing as they grow in age, it is felt that the good types in the last crop were dwindling in performance as they went up the handicap scales.
(g) DIFFIDENT needs good mares to get better types, he has done very well with Poonawalla mares but has produced average types when crossed with Yeravada / smaller farms mares.
(h) MR MELLON is good in patches type, he will keep on giving some good prospects.
(I) The disappointments this season have been SENURE,BLACK CASH, JUNIPER, MAJOR IMPACT and ROYAL KINGDOM. Both the sires of Manjri Stud have a good record but sadly they are not producing early winners. SENURE produce gets better on maturing, they tend to race well when there is a cut in the turf and MAJOR IMPACT is a much better sire who is perhaps not getting the correct coverings. BLACK CASH whose produce does very well on good going has been a failure after a stupendous first year. ROYAL KINGDOM is a 80 : 20 sire, average crop with a few exciting racers. JUNIPER has proved to be just ordinary, the crop is good only for 1200 or 1400m distances.
28. IKHTYAR – Son of UNFUWAIN and standing at Nanoli Stud is the only sire to have got 2 winners from a crop of 37.
Winners-EUBEE and SEMPER EADEM
29. ITAQUERE POWER-Nil out of a crop of 9.
30. PUERTO MADERO-Nil out of a crop of 23.
Comments:- The new crop has been a pure disappointment so far. A clear picture of the potential of these three will emerge by the end of the monsoon season.
31. The other sires who got a single winner each in their crops(shown in brackets) respectively are:-
(a) ANSBACH-(9) ZARIN
(b) ALBERTINI(3) HURRICANE BOLT
© BRAVE ACT-(24) SENORA ENCIMA
(d) CLASSIC TALE-(13) CLASSIC CHARGE
(e) CONQUERING HERO-(6) KOHINOOR EMPIRE
(f) DANCING BEGGAR-(3) BELLE DANCER
(g) INNER CITY-(FAIR OPTION
(h) LOCAL TALENT-(5) NATIVE TALENT
(i) MISCHEVIOUS MUSIC-(13) METALLIKA
(j) MAJOR IMPACT–(19) GOING FOR GOLD
(k) MUDEER (13) REGAL GLORY
(l) SAN FRANCISCO-(12) BEATRICE
(m) SERIOUS SPENDER-(22) X RAY
(n) SENURE-(34) STARFALL
32. The sires with more than 5 in their crop but who have failed to get a winner are:-
(b) BLACK CASH(11)
The performance of the sires at Chennai is discussed separately as it would not be wise to consider the produce of these sires at equal terms with the rest of the country for the prime reason that the produce of Chennai based sires rarely races in any other part of the country and the produce of sires from outside the state of Tamil Nadu hardly ever race as juveniles in that place.
(A)-ALWAYS A RAINBOW-Son of Mr Prospector standing at Sholavaram Stud in his 9th crop of 46 foals had 22 winners of 73 races. Last year black types-GOLDEN BOUNTY, AUTUMN PEARL, magic flight, king’s envoy, oasis dream, society lady, dolphin bay and calypso magic.
QUEST OF VICTORY-8
ROCK N ROLL-2
APPLE OF MY EYE, SUTHERN TIME,SIMPLY ELEGANT, RAINBOW VIEW-1 EACH.
(B)-FOYER-Son of Saddler’s wells and standing at Chettinad Stud in his 9th crop of 29 foals had 6 winners of 28 races. Last year black type-beautiful vision
© PREDAPPIO-The late son of Polish Precedent stood at Sholavaram Stud and in his 6th crop of 13 foals has 4 winners of 12 races. Last year black types-TOPLINE, stunning move and heaven’s echo.
GLORY OF GOLD-1.
Comments:- I think all other race centres need to have a re look at Chennai’s racing pattern. The owners at Chennai, no matter how few or syndicated etc, they should be a happy lot with so many winners in such a short time.
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 6:16 AM
1. UPROAR has a hopeless jockey. SEPIA TONE looks good based on the previous performance so far but the stable doesn’t do justice to favorites. ASTRO BOY is good on handicap, had run a good race once this season. LATEST NEWS is a place hopeful.
ASTRO BOY-SEPIA TONE-LATEST NEWS
2. ARKHOS is in fine form. COSMOPOLITAN has back problems, appears to be forward. NATIVE STRATEGY may be tried.
3. DA VINCI was ridden very hard to snatch victory. FLASHING FLAME appears better placed on scales. SIMPLY SMASHING may warm up, the distance is a bit more. STAR CRUSADER is a stayer at low weights.
FLASHING FLAME-STAR CRUSADER
4. TOTALITARIAN is tracking well with ROCKEFELLAR as partner. ROYAL FLASH failed as a favorite as he was not on against owner’s ‘doosra’. PERPETUITY lacks fitness.
5. RUBEN STAR was a good 2nd to the too good OASIS STAR at Hyderabad. THE HURRICANE is showing out in works, he is going over his pet distance. REJUVENITE was an impressive winner who has the handicap advantage. SAMARKAND is a game horse.
REJUVENITE-THE HURRICANE-RUBEN STAR
6. DANCING GLORY was an impressive winner. BELLA is well bred, the jockey’s choice is intriguing. ES SIDER is full brother to the useful NITROUS. APOLLOTINA may like the trip. APTIANA is bred to stay.
7. GOLDEN ORRA ias a demote who goes over a likeable distance& has an experienced jockey. CINDRELLA MAN may run on board. FIREY FUTURE has come down a lot, he is bound to be tried. BREZHNEV is a place hopeful.
FIREY FUTURE-GOLDEN ORRA-BREZHNEV
DOUBLE==FLASHING FLAME & ARKHOS
GOOD EAT---PERPETUITY & CINDRELLA MAN
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 12:29 PM
(a) Pedigree. One must have a basic knowledge of good pedigrees. Horses with successful sires and well performed mares win much more than others. There are only a limited number of good sires in India and very few who could be labeled as classic producing sires.
(b) Preparation of the horse. Study of the track work over a period of time and the recent runs gives an idea of their current level and win chances. Most races are won by horses in form.
(c) Recent performances. A horse is not tried every time it races, yet one can make out the try runs. It is very difficult for a horse to win when out of form and conversely a horse in form can always defy the handicap.
(d) Handicap-Handicapping at individual level comes with years of racing experience, the official handicap uses a basic mathematical formula of penalizing/dropping in Kgs in weight for win or place and for non performers respectively. Till you develop your own confidence level at handicapping it is better to go with the official system which is based on sound logic.
(e) Periodicity-Apart from the classic & good type of horses which sustain their effort throughout, most others perform only during a certain period of the year ; i.e, some are winter/summer/monsoon/ start or end of the season performers. (Very few punters consider this fact). Also such horses (70%) normally win only once during a year.
(f) Odds –An important factor since no owner wants that his purchase should win/place w/o his betting on it. The moment the owner or his connections bet, the bookies know of it & the odds change. Winners at longer odds are most difficult to forecast and often end up as such because of the failure of the fancied ones due to various reasons.
(g) Trainer/rider/owner. Assess all rides of top riders during the current season as they win 80% of the races mostly only on being backed down & rarely on longer odds. Apprentice or handicap jockeys should only be backed when they start winning more regularly. Good trainers are those whose horses win on backing more consistently. Bad trainers are those whose favorites are often ending up losers even at good handicaps. Always avoid favorites of small type trainers as they do not have the confidence to win. There are a few betting owners who win on backing and some who like to cheat on favorites. In a days card if there is a very good runner at very miserly odds who looks a certainty then you should scrutinize the rest of the runners in the card belonging to the same owner. He is bound to have another one who is going to be a roll for him at better odds. When you are evaluating races the prime focus should be on the parameter of the horses. Also a point to remember is that races can not be measured by foot rulers etc or they would be very predictable or by other parameters like the intentions of the connections, betting trends, manipulative intents & vicious underplays by various outside agencies/ factors. It is good to know of these tendencies but they should never be allowed to over awe one's thinking. Remember that all the key players in this competition like owner, trainer & jockey etc are there to make money & not for charity. It is these very people who keep the races going for the public. Fairness of things is important issue but in such sports as racing, it would be foolish for connections to be open & be fair race after race, if this was to happen then the bookies will ensure early misery for them.
(h)The physical condition of the horse is only a confirmation of the deductions of one’s choice. Anyway here are a few tips on paddock parade:-
(i)Watch for flab or heaviness on the underside, especially of 2/3 year olds, as they may not be fully in shape.
(ii) A good animal will walk very quietly; it is not necessary that it should be eager.
(iii) Any horse that shows eagerness continuously by rearing up etc is to be avoided.
(d) Watch for sweat pattern of the animal, if it is just lightly sweating ,it indicates good preparation. Avoid dry coated animals since they only perform in peak winters.
(iv)Remember it is not possible to get a winner only by his physical fitness or appearance. It is a sum total of all the a/m values which forms the ingredients of selection.
(i) Also choose which all races are to be avoided as you cant win all the races. 2. One should enter the race course only after preparing for the races to be wagered on during the day. Some persons may be also successful who follow a particular system of betting on good tips or who blindly follow knowledgeable source. There are persons who only wager on a particular newspapers days best all the time and there are some bookies who will have the maximum negative bet on the popular race books days best. Every system works in a peculiar way, it is the consistency which matters. Statistics prove that it is very hard for half money on and below favorites to loose, they will end up winning 95% of times. Many persons lay a big amount on this theory, yet some only wager when odds are more than evens. 3. One must have a system to follow, if you are keen to play favorites then remember that as per the recent statistics approx 45 % favorites will win in a season. These will also include horses wining at very cramped odds. Most favorites tend to open as odds on or thereabouts and hence it may be difficult for some follower of favorites to win if he bets on all of them. It is more sensible to bet on only a couple of sure looking favorites in a day and not blindly punting on all favorites. 4. I will never advice any serious punter to play on the pools. S H P or Tanala or Quinella etc are sure to loose your money in a steady trickle. These pools are for the non serious type visitors or for some odd fancy at very long odds. The total gambit of wagering is in win bet or bar betting (eating). Even place money wagering will get one nowhere in the long run. Yet it is sensible to lay a place bet also on a horse you expect and wager to win when the odds are good. 5. Wagering at good odds is very necessary to get full value for your money. Odds of favorites will keep getting hammered or eased in the ring, one has to get the best odds for the bet. A horse should only be wagered upon when it is working out in your scheme of things, one should never follow the rush of money on some horses in the ring as money flow is not the true indicator of the horses capability. Not all owners wager heavily and the horses of small time owners will not run slow if enough money has not been bet on them. There are some good coups but very often lots of such rushes tend to see public money go down. 6. Timings of a race is just another parameter in calculations, it should not be a key factor. Timings are important only in case of front running winners who are consistent. Very often one sees a horse in class III getting a better time than class I winner but that does not mean it will beat the later if raced together. Most horses start to gallop only on entering the straight. Timings are just a fraction of calculations for looking for winners. Consistency in the timings of a sprinter is an important input. Timings in longer distances are often related to the pace of the lead horses who often pack up on entering the straight. Yet it must also be kept in mind that horses who show better times in winning have often gone up in handicap and that all top timings are normally established by top/ highly rated horses. 7 Follow winners and do not chase losers. A winner can defy the winners penalty at handicap whereas a looser will continue to drift for number of races at the same handicap and one is never sure whether the animal will be able to break the loosing jinx.
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 6:09 AM
1. SARAAH has come down in class, she needs more distance but may surprise. SECRET PILGRIM has not lived up to his breeding , the number of gate practices indicate that he may still be a doubtful starter. THE RIGHT MAN could not fulfill the gamble last time, can win here. LONE TROJAN has come down a lot.
THE RIGHT MAN-SECRET PILGRIM-SARAAH
2. GAME OF POWER could have won under a better rider last time. LIGHTNING BOLT is speedy & has a claimer jockey. HOME TO HOME may run well. ARABIAN SPEED appeals on handicap & the distance.
ARABIAN SPEED-GAME OF POWER-LIGHTNING BOLT
3. RAQUEL who was unlucky not to win last time is showing out in tracks. WAR OF ATTRITION was eye catching 3rd in the same race, the last run needs to be discounted. BEAU MONDE has been very well prepared, he is due to earn a win. TIGRESSE NOIRE is tracking well.
RAQUEL-WAR OF ATTRITION-BEAU MONDE
4. FOREST MUSIC is speedy. MYSTERIOUS HEIGHTS is good in works. GREAT HEART is by a speedy dam. PRINCESS RUBY showed out in a mock race, this sister to HITZ can deliver if fancied by the owner.
PRINCESS RUBY-FOREST MUSIC-MYSTERIOUS HEIGHTS
5. RIVER DANCER won a sprint in near record time, but no track since then. FIREFOOT has a terrific turn of foot, is capable of hat-trick despite the handicap being against her. OYSTER GEM is working well, the handicap favors.
6. ABSOLUTE REALITY has run a few forward races. CAVARDOSSI is well bred, looks good on paper as his preparation is very suggestive. CRACKATOA is by a speedy mare. SPIRITED STAR is bound to improve on her last run as the pedigree is good.
7. TULLAMORE has come to hand, should run for money again. QUAOAR retains form. MUSTANG SALLY was notable in her last run. PRINCESS SAMEERAH finished on from way behind in her last run.
MUSTANG SALLY-TULLAMORE-PRINCESS SAMEERAH
DAYS BEST=== CAVARDOSSI
DOUBLE======RAQUEL & PRINCESS RUBY
PLACE=======FOREST MUSIC & ABSOLUTE REALITY
EATS========SECRET PILGRIM & GAME OF POWER
Posted by Sarat Sharma at 12:57 PM